Sunday, April 21, 2013

Day 19: a talent of yours

A talent God has given me is writing stories. For fine arts, I wrote a short story that made it to nationals. My story is called "The Witness" Its about a 15 year-old girl named Hannah, and she... well, I think I'll just show you.


When I heard a knock on the door, I knew that it was my granddaughter, Millie. What I
did not expect, was for my usually happy, cheerful granddaughter, to come in with a
frown bigger than the St. Louis Arch.
            “What’s wrong Millie?” I asked, with concern.
            “I tried to witness to a girl from school and she told me Jesus was for wimps. It was so
 humiliating! I’m never going to witness again!” cried Millie.
            “Well, in that case, I have a story that will help you,” I said.
            “Really?” Millie asked, curiously.
            “Yes, it happened way back in 1976…”
            "Hannah, have you finished unpacking the boxes in your room?" called Hannah's mom.    

            “I just finished the last one," Hannah said as she walked into the kitchen. "I can’t wait to

see Lacy! I hope I get to tell her about Jesus soon, too.”

            Later that day, Hannah went over to her cousin Lacy’s house and when she answered the

door, Hannah smiled and said, "Hi, Lacy!”

            "Hannah! I still can't believe your here!" Lacy gasped and hugged her cousin.

            "I know! It’ll be so great to go to school together and see each other whenever we want!”

said Hannah. Then they went up to Lacy’s room to hang out.

            The next day after church, Hannah and her parents went over to read the bulletins. One of

them was asking for teachers for first though sixth grade classes.

            "Do you think you would like to do something like that?" asked her Dad.  

            "Yes, I think I’d like to teach 5th grade,” answered Hannah.

            The following week, when Hannah got to church, she went to her classroom and began

setting up. By the time the class started, there were ten kids sitting at desks looking at Hannah

curiously. Hannah read from Romans 3:23 ‘For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of

God’ and 1 John 1:9 ‘If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins

and purify us from all unrighteousness’. Then she talked about the ABC's of salvation: Admit

you are a sinner, Believe that Jesus died and rose again in order to save us, and Choose to trust

Jesus as Savior. She read many other verses and told about how Jesus has helped her in her own

life. She then asked if anyone wanted to pray to become a Christian. Hannah was so

happy when all ten children raised their hands and proceeded to say the life changing, life saving

prayer. On the way out, Hannah gave each of them a Bible.  
                                                   
            The next day, on the school bus, Hannah sat next to her cousin, Lacy. "Hi Lacy," said

Hannah.          

            "Hi, how was your weekend?" Lacy asked.

            “Well, I went to church and volunteered for a Sunday school class," answered Hannah,

happily.

            "That's cool" said Lacy.

            After school, Hannah and Lacy got off the bus at Lacy's house and went in. "Hi girls,"

said Lacy's mom. Hannah and Lacy went to Lacy's room to hang out and Hannah told her about

Jesus.
            "So, Jesus, who was perfect, was crucified so we could go to heaven; and even though all

he would have to do was call his angels and they would save him, he didn't?" asked Lacy.

            "Yeah!” answered Hannah.   

            “All you have to do in order to be with him forever is ask?" asked Lacy.

            "Yes, exactly, so do you want to ask?" Hannah asked hopefully.

            “Yes, I think it’s amazing that Jesus gave up his life for me,” said Lacy. Hannah was so

happy to say a prayer with her cousin.

            The next day after school, Hannah and Lacy went to Lacy’s house and there was a police

car pulling out of the driveway. They ran into the house and found Lacy’s mom crying. “What’s

wrong?” Lacy asked.

            Lacy’s Mom looked up at her daughter and said, “Your father has just been arrested.”

            “No, that can’t be!” cried Lacy.
           
            “I’m sorry, sweetie, but he confessed,” answered Lacy’s Mom.

            Lacy went running up to her room and Hannah followed her. Hannah said, “This is the

time when you need to trust in Jesus to help you get through this.”

            “You are right, Hannah. It’s really hard and I’m so scared, but I will try to trust him.”

Then Hannah sat down next to Lacy and prayed with her.

            On the way home from Lacy’s house, Hannah was hit by a car, and then everything went

black.
            Hannah opened her eyes and she was in a hospital. Hannah looked around for her parents,

and she saw them talking with a doctor out in the hall. They came into the room and Hannah’s

Mom asked her how she was feeling.

            "I’m really tired," answered Hannah slowly.

            "Unfortunately, we found some extensive internal bleeding," said the doctor. "I don't

think there's much we can do. I'm sorry."

            Later that day, Hannah was resting when her mom came into the room. "Hi sweetie, I

have a note for you; from Lacy."

            "Oh, thanks," said Hannah, taking the note.


Dear Hannah,

     I’m so sorry to hear what happened to you. I’m really glad you told me about Jesus. I don’t

know what I would do if I didn’t have Him to trust. You can never imagine the impact you had

on my life and the lives of others. I can't say goodbye to you because this isn't goodbye. I will

see you someday in heaven. This is just farewell until next time; you will be forever in my

memories.
                        Love,

                           Lacy

     Hannah held the note close, knowing that her life was complete. She sighed and drifted off to

sleep.
            “Then what happened?” asked Millie.
            “That’s where the story ends, Hannah dies.” I answered.
            “Hannah dies?! But, what’s the point of the story?” cried Millie.
            “The point is that witnessing can change many lives. Hannah knew that her work was
 finished on Earth. It says in Acts 20:24, ‘But I do not account my life of any value nor as
precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord
Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.’ Hannah earned an unimaginable reward in
 Heaven,” I answered.
            “Wow, thanks, Grandma. I don’t feel humiliated anymore. I think I will try to witness
again,” said Millie.
            “That’s wonderful, Millie, and remember, you can also witness by having a good
Christian attitude,” I said.     
            “You’re right. By the way, where did you find that story?” asked Millie.
            “Well, I was a part of the story. I was Lacy’s mother,” I said.
            “What?! So, my mom is Lacy? Hannah was my second cousin?” asked Millie.
            “Yes, Lacy was her middle name. Now she goes by her first name, Heather. Just think, if
Hannah hadn’t witnessed to Lacy, you might not have been raised in a Christian home. Your
mother later witnessed to both your grandfather and I and we also became Christians. You never
know who you may impact, even those who are currently nonexistent.”

No comments:

Post a Comment